Using satellite imagery, NASA’s Christina Milesi has been studying the impact of lawns on America’s fresh water resources. Research indicates there’s at least 3 times more surface area of lawns in the U.S. than irrigated corn, making it the largest irrigated crop.
How do lawns hurt the environment?
• fertilizers run off into drains, contaminating drinking water
• fertilizers pollute rivers and streams and damage ecosystems
• watering lawns depletes our freshwater reserves
• chemical herbicides / pesticides are health risks to humans and wildlife
• lawns infringe on viable habitat for pollinators like bees
• an hour of gas-powered lawn mowing produces as much pollution as four hours of driving a car
For further reading: